Pages

July 13, 2009

Japan Trip - Day 7

Day 7 of our Japan Trip ends at Osaka and begins in Tokyo.

We didn’t eat breakfast today as we had to buy the airport bus ticket to get to the Itami Airport. The bus arrives at the stop station (diagonal from the hotel) at 11:20am. The airport bus tickets were easy to purchase. It costs 620 yen to get to the airport. Pretty cheap for a 30 minute ride. :) The bus ride was smooth as it zipped across the city through the highway. We arrived at the airport faster than expected.

As I was going through security customs, I didn’t know that I had to place my liquor in the luggage (this is my first international flight). The customs officer looked at my Sho-Chu Authority tea liquor bag and he still let it go through customs even though he plainly knew it was alcohol. I was totally grateful for that! I would never wanted it tossed out! He must’ve figured I’m a foreigner and let it slide for just that one time. I remembered to quickly place it in my luggage suitcase when we got to the Tokyo hotel.

We boarded the airplane at around 2:30pm and the ride to Tokyo lasted about an hour. The aircraft was really small and cramped. I hit my head twice against the wall when I sat down in my seat and when I got up to get off.

When we got to Narita Airport, we bought airport bus tickets which costs 3000 yen each. It drives us directly to our hotel in Akasaka which is really convenient. The ride took nearly 2 hours but when we arrived at the hotel, the staff came out to greet us. They grabbed our luggage and carry-on and helped us check-in. One of the employees spoke to us in English on how to get around the area and some points-of-interest. The concierge was very helpful as well and gave us some maps and how to get to some tourist sites.

The suite was very nice and roomy. It was a tad bit warm but I adjusted the thermometer. Our two rooms are connected by the hallway but each one has its own door and lock. I had two double beds in mine and nice assortment of toiletries. I love the way my bathtub is in a separate room than the toilet and the showerhead is handheld (just like in the other hotel in Osaka). There are complimentary bathrobes for the guests. They are really comfortable. :)

We had dinner in a Chinese restaurant in the basement of the hotel. It was pretty pricey but we were tired to look around the area. The dishes were delicious though and tea was tasty. After dinner, we walked around the area but it was getting dark. We went to the subway station to see how far it was from our hotel. It wasn’t too far. I bought myself a Pasmo card for two reasons: as a souvenir and also for convenience so I don’t have to fidget for change.

Past the subway station, we came upon the night district where prostitutes roam the streets all decked out in their pearl necklaces and shaded black automobiles sit in alleyways. Businessmen collect on the streets from bars or going to the bars, most usually drunk. It was a pretty weird sight for me as I’m not used to these scenes.

After some time we went back to the hotel and decided to call it a night. Tomorrow is the day to Ueno Zoo. I can’t wait!!

"JUNGLE CHANNEL 56" ~ please adjust your atenna